Pages

14 August 2009

{la french table}


my new table, originally uploaded by Abby Lanes.

I have managed to feel quite French this week. It's really quite spectacular. :) Actually, if I may say, I think my French friend felt a bit French too! Even though we're in an American home, I find myself doing things that are typically French. It was really just this week though that I realized it. No wonder my poor American Mister is sometimes confused by my actions. Should I elaborate?

Setting the table: In regards to silverware, I place the Fork on the left, the Knife on the right and a small spoon just above of the plate - laying across toward the cup. (My Mister has often picked up the spoon confused. I was too 'involved' to really realize before.

The dinner: I strive to have good bread for certain meals and if passing them out, often place the piece on the table by Mister's plate. Poor man. He automatically, picks it back up and sets it on his plate. Also, the salad is served last. So, I will sometimes bring it to the table after he's finished his fish, zucchini and a bit of bread. It can be confusing, but I think I was subconsciously trying to 're-train' his eating habits. (Oh goodness, the things I realize through this blog. Eek.)

The dessert: After clearing a bit of the dishes, I gather a couple of fruits and yogurts. Take your pick Mister. Ah, now he realizes the reason for the spoon.

I may not be French (even though we have to whisper that this week, as I am pretending....). But, either way, I have certain inclinations -- thanks to my dear (almost) French Mom, my travels and my desperate need to pretend to be French. *Sigh*

*P.S. I have some updates to give about drinking out of bowls! I love how blogging can bring up memories, unite traditions and create an entire world of wonder. But, that will have to come later - becuase I am heading to take my friend to do something entirely American: BBQ at a Military Base.

Lovely Vendredi my dears!

8 comments:

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

I have never been to france... (i'm so un-exotic)
Your blog did make me smile today ... Enjoy the BBQ - I can get down with some of that :)

Lachesis Looms said...

I love you so much my french romantic sissy

Sabine, La Marquise des anges said...

I love so much reading you ... guess what ..; I feel a little French too today :) :)
have a lovely vendredi too

et un très bon weekend.

kathleen said...

Ok! So spoons look so much better above the plate; it is so classy!!Also, yogurt for dessert is brilliant!!!I am pining away for La France! How about a trip to les Vosgues??

Julia said...

This whole post made me think of romance :)

Rachel Follett said...

Gotta love the French! That photo is lovely!

Christina said...

this is such a pretty picture. sounds like you had a lovely french week (i'm totally jealous!)

Laura in Paris said...

Bonjour! On peut etre francais de manieres differentes: with your mind, your heart, your passport, your thoughts, your style, no need to pretend!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin