Pages

19 August 2010

{zucchini and potato latkes}

Last week our pantry was dwindling...and when that happens, I generally pull out "breakfast for dinner!!".  Ha!  {I'm sure that I'm not alone in that department.} But, what was even worse was I had 3 eggs, no bread and a bunch of veggies.  I especially wanted to use up some zucchini that I had.  Knowing that Mister would want some level of carbs, I had remembered some potato and onion latkes that my dear Aunt {Linda Diamond} had made out one of our family gatherings.  Zucchini would add to the perfect paring. 


What you need:

1 large potato (1/2 lb), peeled
1 large zucchini (1/2 lb), ends trimmed
1/3 C diced onion
1 large egg
1 tsp kosher salt
Black pepper
2-4 Tbs Olive Oil

1. Shred potato and zucchini.  Add onion, egg and seasoning.  Mix well.  {The mixture will oxidize quickly and brown slightly.}
2. Heat 2 tbs of the olive oil, using low heat.  Spoon in the mixture, creating 3" pancake disks.  Cook 7-10 minutes, turn over for an additional 6 minutes (ish). 
3. Cooking slowly creates a crisp crust with a creamy inside.  
4. If you want some "extra" yumminess, add a dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream.

The result was perfect! {And as Mister thought so....it's pretty much the best compliment I could ask for!!}.

I LOVE it when you guys try these recipes.  So...if you do - please let me know!

Happy Thursday!

xx,
Tal

2 comments:

Couture Carrie said...

Yummy post, darling!
Thanks for the recipe!

xoxox,
CC

hobovogue . said...

these look SO good.


<33 [v] hobovogue

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin