Pages

17 August 2010

{sweet treat tuesday: molasses spice cookies}

My go-to cookie is not Malasses Spice.  Nope.  Nada.  Non. But, after this week....it may very well be at the top of my list.  Mister had a sweet tooth and as I was just about out of everything in my pantry, including chocolate chips, etc...I decided to pull out a newbie.  Now, for many of you this recipe is not new.  But, for me, it is!  {I love firsts...!} If you've never tried it, do yourself a favor and indulge, and if you have, don't forget about this simply, yummy treat. :) 
 you need...
1/2 C, plus 1/3 C sugar
2 1/4 C all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp allspice*
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 sticks butter, softened {not a figure friendly cookie... :) }
1/3 C dark brown sugar*
1 large egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 C molasses {dark or light, okay}



1. Set oven to 375 degrees (rack in middle).  Spread 1/2 C sugar in a shallow dish for coating - set aside. 
2. Whisk flour, baking soda, spices, pepper and salt together.  Set aside.
3. Beat butter, brown sugar and remaining 1/3 C sugar in a large bowl, until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).  Beat in the egg yolk and vanilla until combined.  Beat in the molasses until incorporated (make sure to scrape down sides of the bowl, as needed).

P.S. Dipping your hands in water when rolling dough, helps prevents stickiness and helps adhere the sugar.  So.......
 
4.Using wet hands, roll 2 tbsp of dough into balls, then roll in sugar and lay on parchment-lined baking sheets (about 2" apart). Bake until the edges are set and the tops are cracked but the centers are still soft (underdone).  The cookies harden as they cool. Bake approx 10-12 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through.
5. Let cookies cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then serve warm or transfer.
 
*I found this recipe via here, but as usual made some changes.  I didn't have allspice, so just added some extra dashes of the ginger, cinnamon and cloves.  I also only had light brown sugar on hand.  

This cookie would be yummy with a glaze over top or with some orange essence/zest whipped in. 

In other news...
Besides the fact that I've been trying to find a job, (but seriously need to learn Spanish if I'm going to be a contender...) I've been knitting!  Here's a picture of my current project (I'm about half done), for a little baby who should be meeting this world in a couple of weeks.  It's a half blanket - perfect for a car seat. The photo doesn't do the color justice (color requested by the mum to be), but the pattern is displayed well!
Happiest of Tuesdays to you all!!

xx,
Tal


4 comments:

izzyg said...

Molasses Cookies are MY favorite! Ina Garten recipe with diced up candied ginger - is deeeeelish.

Miss you

naphtali said...

Izzy - Fantastic idea with the candied ginger. Yum! I'll have to try that next time. MISS YOU!

Brown Birdy said...

I am SUCH a molasses anything fan! Funny-my brother's birthday list has homemade molasses cookies on it-so I picked that along w some other handmade goodness to do ...I think I will give your recipe a try! xo

شركة ضي الرحمن said...

شركة تنظيف بالخبر

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin