Pages

27 June 2008

{i am back. finally. and moved!}

To all my dear friends, I'm sorry for the longest delay ever!

Anthony and I finally got moved from Alaska and are now happily figuring out our new city, Seattle. What a change! We are still surrounded by some boxes but have managed to pretend we're on our way to organization by filling up our guest room with these daunting, never ending square annoyances. I'm going to post pictures (tomorrow I hope!!) so that you all can see our new place. You can at least see our home in progress! Since one of my favorite places of a home is the kitchen (as I believe most of you know by now) I at least wanted to get you started with a couple of pictures of our new space. The others will have to wait, as I still am searching frantically for my camera. These were taken with my less than perfect phone. Hmm.






Though I'm sick of the un-packing, I have managed to procrastinate (yes...I'm brilliant at it) by starting a little herb garden and coming up with new recipes! Hey - I have a new kitchen...gotta break it in with my favorite activity!

 




The quiche is half eaten, yes. So the picture isn't perfect...or is it? I always tend to think that something is better if people want to eat it, not just look at it. For those who like to make food, this is what I did:



CRUST:



3C flour 1C butter 1 Egg 1T vinager 5-6T cold water



Mix cold butter and flour till crumbles (with pastry blender or by hand), Mix egg, water and vinager and then add to flour and butter. (I like to add just 5 TBL of water, but then once mixed add a last TBL if I feel it needs it. Cut in half. This crust recipe is great becuase you can re-roll, freeze, whatever and it's still perfect. I just used one half, and froze the other. Roll out and use fingers to "ruffle" the edges of the crust.  FILLING:



4 eggs** 2 C half & half** 1 1/2 C Swiss Cheese 1/2 - 3/4 Cup parmasan cheese 1/2 C white onion 1/2 C green onion 6 bacon slices (crispy) 6-8 asparagus stalks (based on preference) Tbl fresh rosemary (chopped) Tbl Pepper Dash of Salt



*Crisp bacon as desired (pan or oven) *Cut the asparagus into bite-size pieces, leaving the tips in tack. Blanche. Set aside. *Chop onions. *Combine eggs (beat), half & half, Pepper, Salt and Rosemary (or other favorite herb).  *In bottom of crust put in swiss cheese, chopped onions, crispy bacon and blanched asparagus (NOT the tips though). Pour the mixture over the items in the crust. Sprinkle parmasan cheese over top of mixture, covering well. In the center, make a circle with some of the asparagus tips.  *Cook for about 65 minutes on 350 degrees (let rest 10 minutes) and enjoy!  ** The original recipe called for 3 eggs and 1 1/2 C of half & half, and NO asparagus or Rosemary. When I added the new ingrediants, I had to adjust the filling. The original could work, but I wanted to fill up my pie. And...I added Rosemary cause I love the smell of it. **Some recipes call for a quiche to be cooked at 375 degrees, but I personally like the lower temperature for longer...as it's more moist. Either one will be successful!



TILL TOMORROW!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin