Pages

20 May 2008

{raw flavor}


We are getting ready to move. In doing so, I'm cleaning out our cupboards! Last night I made a very simple pasta and cheese dish with a bit of protein, but wanted to add a fresh flavor to the night. What better way then fresh tomatoes and fennel! It added depth and an exotic flavor to our simple meal. I learned this salad from my favorite chef, Ina Garten. Though...as usual, I made it fit "me". Hers was much more elaborate with beautiful heirloom tomatoes (which I prefer as well), varying in different sizes and colors (red, green and yellow). I just wanted to use what I had on hand, and it worked wonderfully! Anyone could create this great raw salad.

Ingrediants:   *1 1/2 lbs Tomatoes (I used only 3 on the vine tomatoes, because there was just two of us, but adjust according to your family) *1 small Fennel bulb *2 Tbl Olive Oil *2 Tbl Lemon juice *1 Tbl Apple Cider Vinegar *Pinch of Salt *Pinch of Pepper

Cut the tomatoes into slices. Cut the top part of the fennel and set aside keeping some of the fennel fronds from garnishing. Cut the fennel bulb in half and remove the core, then slice thinly. Sprinkle over the tomatoes.



In a seperate small bowl combine: Olive Oil, Vinegar, Lemon juice, salt and pepper. Wisk till blenned. Pour directly over tomatoes and fennel. Garnish with a bit of the fennel fronds.



Let sit - the flavors taste great as they combine all together. This is a great simple side salad that would compliment most dishes. Raw salads are my favorite for the summer season. I do love lettuce, but sometimes it's just nice to have the clean flavor of raw vegetables. This dressing could be used on a variety of things!

Enjoy.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin