Pages

14 May 2008

{jammie-jam}


One of my favorite dinner time meals is "breakfast"! I love breakfast for dinner. Actually, I like breakfast for dinner more than I like breakfast for breakfast. So, last night we had the works: hash browns, eggs, (bacon for the husband), toast, orange juice...and homemade strawberry jam. Delicious!  Today I was able to enjoy the jam again for breakfast!  And it's still just as good.   I love having strawberries on hand. I prefer them fresh and will even freeze them for future use, but if fresh aren't available frozen are great too. Anyway, what to do with all the strawberries? Make jam! What I love about this recipe, is that it's so easy. If you want to go through the hassle of canning, then go for it. I enjoy it every once in awhile...but, if you just want a great, quick homemade jam recipe - try this!



*2 Pints Strawberries



*1 Cup Sugar



*1 small lemon (juice and zest)



Before beginning, place a small glass plate in the freezer.



In a small saucepan add the zest of the entire lemon, the juice and 1 cup sugar. Heat on low heat for about 10 minutes (till sugar is dessolved). Meanwhile, cut strawberries in half (or quarters if large). Once sugar is dissolved, add strawberries. Cook on low for about 20 minutes and the juices of the strawberries release. To tell if it's done, take the plate from the freezer and spoon a bit of the sauce onto the plate. Run your finger through the sauce. If it stays separated, then it's done! Place in a sealable glass container or sturdy Tupperware. Refrigerate or use while warm.



I actually mash the strawberries with a hand masher just before they're almost cooked. I still want some pieces, but don't want it too chunky. BUT - that's just my preference...do what you like!



This recipe doesn't use fruit pectin, but the lemon does a great job of gelling up the mixture. I learned a variation of this recipe from one of my favorite chefs, but she called for 2 cups sugar. It was way to sweet for me - but, if that's what you prefer...by all means.






This jam is great on toast, but would also be delicious on angel food cake or even crepes! Enjoy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin